Monday, October 29, 2012

Stained Glass Apples

The Stained Glass Apples activity is definitely a very fun activity to do with the kids! It is a great idea to use in September, because that is when many teachers acknowledge Johnny Appleseed, or Jonathan Chapman, since his birthday is recognized at the end of September. Johnny Appleseed is an enjoyable way to engage the students while teaching them a unit on apples.

There are some changes I would make to the Stained Glass Apple activity. The first time, I passed the contact paper and then demonstrated to the students how and where to place their apple. This was somewhat challenging for some of the students. So, next time I will already have the apple placed on the contact paper so that all the children need to do is place the tissue paper in the middle of the apple. I also let the students cut out their own apple. Letting the students cut as much as possible is important so that they can enhance their cutting skills. However, this was also somewhat difficult for some of the students because some of the apples were cut too thin in the middle. Overall, it is a great apple activity that could be used in many different grade levels! I loved how beautiful the finished product looked!

Cute craft for Johnny Appleseed unit.

In addition, I have read the story of Johnny Appleseed to the students when doing the unit on apples. However, I know that many of my friends that are teachers show a short video to students on Johnny Appleseed. So, I thought I would include a video I found on YouTube that told the story of Johnny Appleseed.


No comments:

Post a Comment