Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Plants: Are, Have, Need

 A great activity I pinned about plants definitely makes learning about plants fun. This activity would be great to use right along with a plant unit! The kids really will enjoy the activity. This activity would appeal to auditory, visual, and kinesthetic learners. The activity also incorporates thinking, creativity, drawing, and writing which keeps all of the children interested. All of the links and information on this activity are under the "Links to Activities & Resources" tab on my home page.

If I were doing this activity, I would most likely use it at the end of of the unit after we had already studied plants. As a class, I would talk about and graph what plants are, plants have, and plants need. It would be neat to make this a center and let the children rotate. One center could be the writing/drawing activity. The next one could be where the children get to plant real seeds and also a flowering plant. The children could put some in the the windows, some in the closet (no sun), some with no soil, some would not get watered, and some would get put in Ziploc bags (no air). This would allow the children to see what would happen to the plants when they did not get all of the things they needed to grow. Another center could be the reading center, where children had age appropriate books to read about plants. The children loved this activity and I would definitely recommend it!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun blog! I wonder how you could work technology into this plant activity. You know me... always trying to think of tech tools. I can't wait to see what other great DIY activities tied to education and kindergarten you blog about!

    ReplyDelete